Thursday, January 16, 2020

Fraternal Twins

Add caption
At last the two strippy quilts are finished, 64" x 41.5". The two hedgehog prints had been bundled with an odd orange strip that matched one of the colors for several years. It seemed like there was always "one more thing" to do. Pin, sew, press strip pairs, repeat. Choose a backing, a quilting pattern, thread colors. Find binding fabric, cut, sew, press repeat. It was a good way to use yardage with very little waste. The labels ended up being a project in themselves.




The charity organization had specific instructions for wording on the labels. In the past I've used a pigma pen with mixed results. They usually end up bleeding and looking blurry. I decided to use one of the alphabets on my Janome machine, and started testing. Working without a hoop really requires an iron-on interfacing to prevent puckers and shifting. Chalk helped keep the four lines of text lined up. I used the same grey fabric as the backing and a bright orange poly thread for contrast. Two or so hours later, the labels were stitched, hemmed, and sewn to the quilts.


No comments:

Post a Comment