Saturday, October 26, 2019

Squirrel Quilt

I love scrappy quilts, and when Bonnie Hunter started posting her scrappy Courthouse Steps, it looked like an inevitable project for me. The never-empty box of blue/green scraps had been sitting on my sewing table, so I decided to make a small version from the box. I cut 36 center squares, half of a dark aqua and half from a green/yellow lemons batik. The blocks were trimmed at 8" square, so the finished quilt came out at just over 45" square. That meant the backing was scrappy too, since it was wider than quilting fabric. Quilting is slightly wonky, freehand grids 3/4" - 1" apart.
Wonky Courthouse, 45.5" square, grid quilting

The other finished charity quilt is the Big Plus, made with three 1-yd cuts of fabric. I drew it up in EQ and calculated three cut sizes, rather than just cutting squares. Cutting 5" strips, then sub-cutting 5" squares, 9.5" strips and 14" strips. I'll probably make this again, perhaps sized as a twin.


Big Plus, 63.5" x 53", quilted with Bumpity

No comments:

Post a Comment