Friday, November 4, 2016

It's Sunny, Time for Photos

Many Trips - 100" x 100"

Close up, 2.5" finished squares
 
Backing and Spilled Ink quilt pattern

My largest quilt in a long while is a variation on Bonnie Hunter's "Many Trips" pattern. The goal was to work with my favorite fabrics--the ones that I've been saving. Some are even less than a year old.  The start was a bundle of Da Gama indigo prints that had been purchased from Reproduction Fabrics at least 10 years ago, already pre-washed and treated with Retayne. They became the strong diagonal through the blocks.
 
Playing with layouts in EQ7, I discovered that with 5 strips instead of 6, I could make rectangular designs rather than square. This is most visible looking at the light squares. The other bonus was that all the blocks have the same color order, and the rotation alone created the effect. 3" cut strips show just a bit more of some of the patterns.
 
The backing fabric was the only new purchase for this quilt. It is Luxe Vine Maze by Michael Miller. It has a nice soft hand, and I like that the background is not white. It shrank a lot - 6" in width, plenty of length was purchased fortunately.
 
It was very fun to work with favorite fabrics! The light grey in each block is Aboriginal Dots by Kaffe Fassett, and there was just enough in stash for the quilt.
 
 
Blue Woven is a small charity quilt made from strings. I devised a cardboard template that allowed me to wrap the strings around it and cut many at once. The strong patterned strips were distributed among the 36 blocks. Borders and binding are scrappy too, the backing is a light blue flannel star. Quilting is "Stars and Loops", and it's 39" square.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment