Saturday, March 12, 2016

Learning about my UFO’s and the in-between projects

I’ve been trying to analyze how my UFO’s develop. Some are just a bundle of fabrics that need to become a project. Some have been started and I’ve hit a stumbling point. Some of them are inherited UFO’s. If there is a goal for a project – a gift or charity quilt, they are more likely to get finished.

Two inherited projects are on their way out the door, to someone who wants them. I spent 5 years hand piecing an EPP diamond star queen-sized quilt with fabrics that I didn’t love (a gifted UFO), and relating that to why this project has been sitting for several years is clear.
One of my FAL goal projects, the chevron tablerunner, has all the blocks finished. This project did teach me about chain cutting. With a large cutting mat it works to lay out a bunch of pieces to cut apart and then move the ruler from place to place. Saves wear on the cutting mat by not being in the same spot.
One in-between project is a small charity quilt with oranges and yellows. This used up some small leftover pieces, and some larger coordinates. There are 8” squares, 4” squares and 4” four-patches.

The portable design wall is done. I found inexpensive wide tablecloth vinyl with a flannel backing, squared it up and hemmed.

Double Square Star
Another in-between is a Double Square Star quilt. I divided a bundle of 8 Sunprint FQs into two groups of four colors. They’re a quirky print. Four FQs plus some white 2 ½” strips will give a 36-block small quilt. The white sashing has two stich and flip triangles. If I make a quilt from the other four FQs I might use a 3” strip instead so the points at the edges have a bit more breathing room.

Knitting and crocheting has been ongoing. I’m knitting on my third charity hat using yarn purchased online that turned out to be rather drab, mainly grey (good color for men.) Also finished is another crochet scarf.  As I make my way through my yarn stash, I’m staying away from yarn sales and resolve to make purchases in person.

A new project in the works is Garden Party by Laura Heine, an applique flower and butterfly quilt. I saw it at the Sew Expo but didn't buy it while there. It was gifted to me for my birthday (early), and a small collection of bright fabrics is coming together.

1 comment:

  1. I love your process of going through your UFO's. I have SO MANY I don't even know where to start! I plan on completely revamping my sewing room this summer when I am off work. At that point I will make a decision on what to do with some of them that are no longer "me"! I did acquire a couple more projects this week at guild to finish up for charity. I love the Garden Party pattern. Funny thing, I had been looking at a smaller version, Painted Lady!

    ReplyDelete