Saturday, January 29, 2011

Process

I'm finding it difficult to post often enough to keep up with the steps of my design process. There are many things "in progress" right now too, some creative, and some just going step-by-step to finish them.

I was able to find time to quilt and bind this quilt for American Hero Quilts. Melissa D., from my Washington State Internet Quilters group, completed the top for the New Year's weekend Cyber Sew-in. The plan was to make blocks, and they would be sent on to other quilters to assemble, quilt & bind. Melissa had these blocks from an exchange, so she put them together, and we connnected online. She mailed the top to me, and I provided batting, backing, quilting & binding. It went off in the mail yesterday.
Yesterday I quilted the small tumblers quilt, and it's ready for binding.
The other sewing project finished is a basic apron for my quilting studio. The fronts of my aprons wear out because they get snagged by pins on the front side of my quilting machine

This is the hat finished last week, blocking. The pattern is Caller Herrin by Kate Davies. It's stretched over a 10" plexiglass circle used as a quilting guide. I was surprised at how much it changed the shape of the finished hat--it actually fit me better before blocking, but the yarn did bloom nicely and the tension looks much nicer. I'm looking at other small patterns to use up the leftover wool.
Also completed were a set of felted hexagon coasters. Well, more like flowers, as the edges remained pointy. I'll keep them in a drawer except when company is coming, so they don't become dog chews.

2 comments:

  1. I love the wavy quilting you did! That is a very cute hat! Lisa is into knitting big time right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie, the wavy quilting is one that I can do when my shoulder is bothering me (good for weekend quilting.) It's smooth, quick and different every time. Sally

    ReplyDelete