Monday, July 5, 2010

Working the Stash

I'm very drawn to printed panels, although they can sometimes be a challenge to work with. Often the "blocks" are not square and not all the same size. At a rather frantic sample sale I picked up this book panel, not realizing somehow that it was a book and not a quilt panel.

Some time ago it had been measured, and diagrams drawn and the purple sashing cut, then it sat in a box. When I pulled it out a few days ago, I checked the blocks and adjusted the size down a bit when cutting them out. The large block in the center was supposed to be the center of the book, and it didn't make sense to cut it in two, so the sashings on each side were cut just a bit wider to adjust the total width.

After the top and bottom rows were assembled with the vertical sashing, I ended up trimming the bottom edge another 1/4" to removed the printed sewing instructions (in black) that would not have been hidden by the seams. The pictures are very sweet and it will be a nice charity quilt, finishing about 47" x 56".



It wasn't until the bag was finished that the fabric reminded me of fireworks, appropriate for a July 4th project. My friend Patty loves red, and this batik fabric had been given to me in two long strips. I used the full width of one piece for the bottom section, and split the other lengthwise to made the top section and handles. The outside pocket just visible with the top of a blue notepad peeking out is a hanging pocket made with the lining and a small strip of the red batik as a facing at the top so the lining doesn't peek out. The lining is white with random small red dots.









No comments:

Post a Comment