I’ve gotten much better at writing out ideas when inspired to make something—especially when I’m designing it from scratch or altering a pattern. Too many times I’ve looked at a bundle of fabric in a box and wondered what the original idea was.
Now I’ve come up against a finished project that needs to be re-made: a barbeque cover from Sunbrella fabric. The first one was finished about 4 years ago, and has lived outside ever since, though under a metal-roofed awning. Last month a small tear became a large tear, and I promised DH that I would look into making a new one. First I looked at finished BBQ covers online and at a store (in a sealed box of course), and decided that even the more expensive versions (~$40) wouldn’t last very long.
It’s a rather strange shape, but I didn’t keep any notes on the dimensions of the first homemade cover. We measured the cover and I made some yardage diagrams. I planned on doubling the center panel that drapes over the top for the new one, as that’s where most of the wear happened on the first cover. Then sticker shock set in when even after adjusting the finished size to make the best use of 60” wide fabric, we would still need 5 yards at $20/yd. I don’t remember the first cover costing over $50 total, so either I purchased a color on sale (it is grey, a weird color for our house and deck) or the price of this fabric has really gone up. DH checked at local stores to see if he liked any of the ready-made options better, and didn’t, so it’s back to trying to locate a decent price on Sunbrella fabric.
No comments:
Post a Comment