Certain projects just grab my attention. These little Felted Trees from Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines did just that. And they helped use up some of the recycled reindeer sweater yarn that really doesn't want to be in my stash anymore. It's a bit scratchy, not very lovely, and not superwash.
Somehow it popped into my head that I could overdye brown yarn and give it a new life. My less-than-careful attempt gave me two skeins of a bright green, but the dyebath wasn't spent. The next two skeins came out more blue-green, without any additional dye but a bit more vinegar. My last several dye experiments were with painted wool that just needed to be steamed, not stirred and watched. The finished trees are still plain after an attempt to embellish them. I like their simplicity when plain. The next tree to be felted is to be a dog toy, and that will have an I-cord star on top.
More wool washing: coned thread purchased on sale from Webs, still in the spinning oil. It doesn't smell of lanolin, and is much nicer to knit if washed beforehand. I found that by using my yarn meter (a fishing line counter mounted on wood) and my umbrella swift wound loosely, I can get a decent skein much faster than using a niddy-noddy, and it's easier on my neck. The samples knitted up required two yarns held together for a DK weight, so there is more skeining and washing to come.
Then back to the loom, also with wool yarn. I had wound the warp several months ago for a simple scarf, referring to a pattern in an older Handwoven, and set it aside. Somehow it was two feet too short, but thankfully it had not been cut. All my careful ties at the cross and ends helped it unwind without many tangles, and it has been re-measured and ready for warping.
Love your trees! I have the book and you've inspired me to take another look through it again. And LOVE cute kitty, especially the one where he /she has an opinion while you are trying one of the trees on as a hat! CUTE.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas!
Thanks! I'm sorry I didn't see your comment for a few weeks. And the cat's name is...Murphy!
ReplyDelete