So of course you wouldn't mind doing all of my nasty mending and hemming that has been put off. Does anyone ever do that to you? Someone in my family did, though she did offer to pay me as I wasn't working at the time. Then another family member realized that perhaps I could re-upholster one of his cars. I explained that although I had made outdoor gear (raincoats, bivi bags), my machine was not industrial, and probably wouldn't be suited for sewing naugahyde seat covers.
For a daycare auction, I foolishly donated 10 hours of sewing time. The daycare director bought my services, then asked if I could make her a two-piece rain outfit for bicycling. I recognized that this would be much more than 10 hours, and negotiated a selection of perennial divisions from her yard for the difference (which had been her donation, way way out of my price range).
I really don't mind small mending projects for other people. Once while visiting my Dad, I realized he had tried to convert a hooded sweatshirt to having a short collar...with a stapler. He even had a sewing machine in his house at the time, and I had seen him using it to repair some of his clothes when I was a kid (my Mother was not on speaking terms with the machine). I was glad to take it home and convert it for him, removing all the staples.
Pinnies were made for my Son's soccer team (colored vests to wear when an opposing team had the same color uniforms), and one of the parents recognized my talent and had me rescue a couple pairs of his son's drawstring pants that had lost the drawstrings. I did actually stitch the new drawstrings in place in the center back so they wouldn't pull out again.
Early on in my longarm quilting career, I received a phone call inquiring if I could quilt Kevlar. The caller was from South Carolina, and I directed him to try and find an industrial sewing shop closer to his home, and my machine could NOT quilt Kevlar. He was not questioned as to what he wanted quilted, as I didn't want to know!
No comments:
Post a Comment