![]() |
| Petal sets |
It’s been quite a few years since I’ve done a fusible
applique quilt. I’m taking a learner’s attitude, not
worrying that each block is done exactly the same. A few of the petals were
accidentally reversed (learning point #1 – use an opaque label on clear plastic
templates rather than a pen to label so letters & numbers aren’t reversed),
but if they fit on the block I kept them as-is.
I did some practice with my
machine’s stitch regulator, using it for the first time, and stitched down the 36
tiny hearts on each block before doing any other stitching, so as not to lose
any of them. If I were making the blocks again, I would probably just spiral
stitch over the whole areas of them, rather than stitching a heart shape in each
one. The rayon thread is a light variegated color and gives them some shimmer.
Scraps were used to test
different stitches, and I still ended up changing some of them. The scalloped
satin stitch with a point, mirrored, gives the petals a soft edge. Matching bobbin
thread helps keep the colors clear, and I’ve limited the variegated threads
because of this too (learning point #2.)
My machine’s tie-off works differently with each type of stitch, so I’ve
learned to tie-off by just moving the block around to stitch in the same place.
Most threads are brought to the back and tied before trimming. Though I do love
the satin stitches, they are slow to stitch out compared to buttonhole stitch.I worked one thread color at a time on all nine blocks. With the many trips through my machine the fabric edges kept fraying, partially because the interfacing used was 1/2" narrower than the 20 1/2" background fabrics, and eventually I zig-zagged all of the edges (learning point #3.)
![]() |
| Garden Party blocks |
A light brown-grey border/sashing fabric is on order, the only piece (other than fusibles and interfacing) purchased for this project, and a couple of backing options have been pulled from the stash too.


I love this! It's spectacular and I loved reading about your process.
ReplyDelete