Drawn out in Electric Quilt, I played with the sizes, at
first thinking I would use a Tri-Recs ruler, then decided on larger
blocks. EQ gives rotary cutting
directions, and I played with the block size until the size for cutting was
simple (5” x 8.5”.) The finished block
size isn’t quite standard, but it doesn’t really matter if the finished quilt
size works. I sized the quilt to fit the
backing fabric I purchased, 73.5” x 110”.
I also played with the fabric selection – there were more
fabrics, but they didn’t all play nicely together. The photo shows half the fabrics, as they
were folded into pairs for the diamond blocks after washing and ironing. I dropped out two brown fabrics as they
really stood out when laid out together, and that also simplifies the cutting,
as there will be 42 blocks (3 in halves for the offset columns), and there are
7 pairs of fabrics.
The sample block is for a pressing sample, so the seams of
the blocks will nest nicely when assembled.
I also realized that I can simplify the cutting by keeping the pairs of
fabric right sides together and can cut all the angles the same direction
without needing to mirror them.



No comments:
Post a Comment