Friday, October 8, 2010

Vrooom....gag, cough!

That's the sound of the vacuum pulling in 11 1/4 yards of fabric!

I was at a crossroads about my Christmas stockings for Toy Rescue Mission - the finished stockings are ready to pack and mail off, and my local quilting group had expressed interest in helping me make more, as per my last post. As my Christmas fabric supply had been radically reduced, it was coming to
  1. repurposing fabric from a project box

  2. asking for donations

  3. buying fabric


My family's schedule was causing some conflict with the upcoming November retreat, and I was considering calling it good for this year, and starting a new cycle after the holidays. And then Wednesday brought one of my regular and kindest quilt customers, who had seen some of my stockings in progress and shopped her stash for donations - one 3 2/3 yard piece of adorable snowmen and 7 1/2 yards of Christmas sayings! She qualified that I could use it any way I choose, and I have to admit the snowmen have a vintage look that is just adorable.

Both fabrics are directional, so I'll pre-cut pieces to stack and cut 6-8 layers at once. I've also decided that I'll make a small adjustment to the stocking template. It flares slightly at the top, which can be challenging if the facing isn't flared the opposite direction when it's attached. This is one of those small things that you can put up with if you're only making a few, but becomes a pain when you're working in larger quantities. Some of the more experiences sewists in the group would have figured this out earlier, I'm sure! At any rate, simplifying the pattern will make it easier for all of us. If I get them cut out earlier, the "kits" will be passed out early with simple instructions. The facing can be inside or outside, fancy or plain, and they need a sturdy hanging loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment