Monday, May 24, 2010

Garden Sewing

Warmer weather has been drawing me outside to the garden. I did a bit of sewing for the garden - two smaller pieces of crop cover cloth to wrap around the base of the bean trellis (to keep cats and birds out). It didn't look very interesting when photographed, so here's a project from several years ago: a screen for the rain barrel.

Packcloth fabric scraps, screen door mesh, and a bit of string to draw the circular shape. Velcro flaps hold the packcloth around the overflow pipes. The birds scavenge through the bits of
debris.


Blog crawling has brought me a new handwork obsession in the form of 6-pointed star pincushions. There weren't any instructions or links to a source pattern, but eventually I recognized that it was just diamonds. I found an acrylic template the size needed, and very quickly had little stacks of precious fabrics to make half a dozen. One set was cut out to act as a test, and the results made me very happy. I pieced the top and bottom stars by machine, and did the sides by hand.



Pincushion #2 is going to have two or three fabrics on the top star. I'm going to untwist some of my first spinning attempts and use wool roving to stuff it. This will be a fun way to use small scraps.




No comments:

Post a Comment