Sunday, December 27, 2009

Down to the Wire



Just the gift wrapping was last-minute. Usually I don’t even do the wrapping, but we switched things up this year. One year I was finishing the binding on a quilt on the way to the Christmas Eve party. Yes, there were two quilts finished on Wednesday the 23rd. But it was a realization last week that one top was finished, the other was partially assembled, and with an empty quilt machine, I had decided that they were good gifts for two 4-year old great-nephews.

Making seven knitted gifts was very doable. Four were machine knit scarves. One skein of a subtle color changing mohair blend with just a hint of silver glint was knitted in stockinette, two skeins of kid mohair/silk blend with a simple pattern made by skipping some needles made a generous scarf from each, and one long striped scarf from two colors worked up very nicely by changing colors on alternate sides, and using a crochet hook to attach the carried yarn to the edge. The two cowls were made on circular needles with different patterns, and the lacy scarf had been started early enough—even after deciding to order a second skein of yarn.

And now back to regularly scheduled projects – plus some. I committed to making 10 squares for charity by January 1st, and knocked off 2 ½ squares in one evening, using double crochet. There is a large lace knitted shawl that needs to become my go-to project when I can work from the chart without interruption. A few new bundles of fabric are sitting and waiting to become new quilts (from fabric gifted to me, sorted into donation, projects and an up-for-grabs bag to bring to the next meeting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment