I've been doing quilt bindings the same way for a long time, but while doing 28 corners in one day (7 placemats), my corner technique has changed. I used to stop 1/4" (or the seam width) from a corner when turning, but the corner of the backing kept flipping when starting the next seam, making a lump. Sometime ago there had been a quilting demonstration where you would sew off to the corner, making a mitered seam, so I gave that a try, and it really helped. I thought it was Eleanor Burns, but the video showing her technique is slightly different:
http://quiltinaday.com/television/video-binding.asp
You can teach an old quilter new tricks!
With some unexpected free time, I plowed through a lot of projects in the past two weeks, finishing 4 quilts, lots of placemats, some sweater knitting progress, and even some spinning. The current spinning fiber is from a charity auction, it is not as clean as previous fibers I’ve spun (have to stop every foot or so and pick out pieces of grass, and frequently sweep the fiber crumbs off foot pedals). It is soft, a cream with some darker fibers for a heathered look.
I did a small machine digitized embroidery project – changing DS’s beloved hat from a rival school’s logo to his current college, with the help of a small scrap of fake ultrasuede to make a patch. And learned a new crochet technique--Tunisian crochet from a book, 3rd dishrag finished already. The fabric is nice and dense, and so far has been holding up well. The first was Lion Cotton, the others CotLin.
Found two local podcasts – The Manic Purl (Vancouver BC) and Doubleknit. They both do some traveling, but mostly are talking about things closer to home than SoCal or the Eastcoast.
Knot a Problem group on Ravelry – totally cracks me up! There is competition to untangle other knitter’s yarn! Raverly rocks!
No comments:
Post a Comment