Saturday, January 24, 2009

In Black and White

The list of my sewing room projects has finally been updated, by listing all the UFO's, PIG's and PIM's. Sorting them by category helps keep things in perspective, since there are 45 total.

UFO's - Unfinished Objects, or projects in progress. Ten doesn't sound too bad, though this list is mainly sewing or quilting, and doesn't include knitting, crochet and weaving. Two quilt tops need borders added, and I'm fussing with colors and sizes. These are both quilts that I will most likely keep for myself, or if given as gifts only to a very special person. Three other quilt tops have pieces cut out, and one is a group of blocks from an exchange, where I need to make about 15 more blocks plus pieced border blocks. Napkins, burp cloths and a new studio apron are also cut out and need just a bit of dedicated sewing time.

PIG's - The largest group at 26. These are Projects in a Grocery Bag (usually plastic shoeboxes), with a pattern or sketch and some fabrics in mind. They range from a small embroidery to two bed-sized quilts (backing included). Two are not fabric-related: stitch markers for knitting, and beaded snowflakes.

PIM's - Scaled back to 9, but the group most likely to grow. Projects in Mind are usually just a pattern, purchased or marked in a magazine, or drawn in a sketchbook. Unless I've printed out a diagram, the many many quilt designs in my Electric Quilt 6 program aren't included.

The last two years I have worked with my UFO list to try and finish projects, or let them go. For example last year, two sets of blocks were given away to someone else, several projects were released, but quite a few were finished. I gave myself permission to just make tops for charity, quilting them if they were really special. This lets me try out ideas or use up fabrics that attach themselves to a design in my head.

The next step is to add my knitting, sewing, weaving and spinning ideas to the list, just to help keep things in perspective. Ravelry's "Stash" database has helped me face up to my yarn accumulation, and is a good reality check every time I fall in love with a new pattern. My favorite part of creating things is choosing a design and the materials. I do enjoy the process of creating things, but often need an external motivator (such as a deadline for a gift) to finish things.

1 comment:

  1. I clicked on the wrong post to comment earlier! This is the post I meant to comment on about projects!

    ReplyDelete